Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade and missing loadable libraries

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade and missing loadable libraries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun  4, 2017 at 01:55:01PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > *  should we print all the pg_proc.pronames that are involved, not just
> > the unique library names
> > *  should we output a query helping people find the pg_proc entries
>
> > I think there are many cases where DROP EXTENSION XXX fixes the problem,
>
> Yes.  I think in most cases nowadays there's a one-for-one correlation
> between extensions and libraries; drilling down to the level of individual
> functions would just be confusing clutter.  I think if you just print
> a report saying "these libraries are referenced in these databases",
> that would be sufficiently usable in most cases.

OK.

> You could think about printing a script full of DROP EXTENSION commands,
> but aside from the sheer difficulty of doing that, it doesn't seem all
> that helpful.  Simply dropping every extension is usually *not* the
> right answer, and it could easily lead to data loss if done blindly.
> Usually people are going to need to stop and think anyway.

The problem is that in some cases extensions are improperly removed or
the extension has bugs that leaves pg_proc entries around that aren't
dumped, but are seen by pg_upgrade and generate an error.  In these
cases, and I have seen a few recently, we don't give the user any way to
find the cause except ask for assistance, i.e. we don't show them the
query we used to find the problem libraries.

http://enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade and missing loadable libraries
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] pg_upgrade and missing loadable libraries