Re: [PERFORM] Questionaire: Common WAL write rates on busy servers.

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [PERFORM] Questionaire: Common WAL write rates on busy servers.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 2017-04-27 10:29:48 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 04/27/2017 09:34 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2017-04-27 09:31:34 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > > On 04/27/2017 08:59 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> > >

> > > I would agree it isn't yet a widespread issue.
> >
> > I'm not yet sure about that actually.  I suspect a large percentage of
> > people with such workloads aren't lingering lots on the lists.
>
> That would probably be true. I was thinking of it more as the "most new
> users are in the cloud" and the "cloud" is going to be rare that a cloud
> user is going to be able to hit that level of writes. (at least not without
> spending LOTS of money)

You can get pretty decent NVMe SSD drives on serveral cloud providers
these days, without immediately bancrupting you.  Sure, it's instance
storage, but with a decent replication and archival setup, that's not
necessarily an issue.

It's not that hard to get to the point where postgres can't keep up with
storage, at least for some workloads.

- Andres