Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017-04-25 21:19:41 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 06:51:47AM +0200, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> > Or the ability of logical decoding to follow timeline switches.
>
> When you say "logical decoding", you don't mean contrib/test_decoding?

No.  test_decoding is just an example output plugin ("formatting" the
changes), but there's in-production users of logical decoding out
there.  So features adding to logical decoding in general, are worth to
be mention in general.

> Do you mean the WAL logical stream now has timeline information and 3rd
> party software should know about that?

It's less about knowing about it, and more about being empowering new usecases.

But, TBH, in this case I'm not sure what the point would be - given
there's no way to sanely create and use such slots, I don't think the
timeline following has advantages on its own, it's imo more of a
stepping stone.

Greetings,

Andres Freund