Re: [HACKERS] Radix tree for character conversion

От Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Radix tree for character conversion
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

At Tue, 28 Feb 2017 08:00:22 +0530, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote in
<CA+TgmoYheGx+knBQAMBm+nr8Cnr7e2RZm1BEwgK5AGMx4MKv9A@mail.gmail.com>
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
> <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> >> +# make_charmap - convert charset table to charmap hash
> >> +#     with checking duplicate source code
> >> Maybe this should be "with checking of duplicated source codes".
> >
> > Even though I'm not good English writer, 'duplicated codes' looks
> > as multiple copies of the original 'code' (for me, of
> > course). And the 'checking' is a (pure) verbal noun (means not a
> > deverbal noun) so 'of' is not required. But, of course, I'm not
> > sure which sounds more natural as English
>
> The problem is that, because "checking" is a noun in this sentence, it
> can't be followed by a direct object so you need "of" to connect
> "checking" with the thing that is being checked.  However, what I
> would do is rearrange this sentence slightly as to use "checking" as a
> verb, like this:
>
> convert charset table to charmap hash, checking for duplicate source
> codes along the way
>
> While I don't think Michael's suggestion is wrong, I find the above a
> little more natural.

Thank you for the suggestion and explantion. I leaned that,
maybe.  I'll send the version with the revised comment.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center