Re: [HACKERS] [BUGS] Bug in Physical Replication Slots (at least9.5)?

От Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [BUGS] Bug in Physical Replication Slots (at least9.5)?
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
At Thu, 2 Feb 2017 15:34:33 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote in
<CAB7nPqQ05G15JooRMEONgPkW0osot77yaFAUF9_6Q8G+v+2+xg@mail.gmail.com>
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 1:26 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm afraid that many WAL segments would start with a continuation record
> > when there are the workload of short transactions (e.g., by pgbench), and
> > which would make restart_lsn go behind very much. No?
>
> I don't quite understand this argument. Even if there are many small
> transactions, that would cause restart_lsn to just be late by one
> segment, all the time.
>
> > The discussion on this thread just makes me think that restart_lsn should
> > indicate the replay location instead of flush location. This seems safer.
>
> That would penalize WAL retention on the primary with standbys using
> recovery_min_apply_delay and a slot for example...
>
> We can attempt to address this problem two ways. The patch proposed
> (ugly btw and there are two typos!) is doing it in the WAL sender by
> not making restart_lsn jump to the next segment if a continuation
> record is found.

Sorry for the ug..:p Anyway, the previous version was not the
latest. The attached one is the revised version. (Sorry, I
haven't find a typo by myself..)

>  Or we could have the standby request for the next
> segment instead if the record it wants to replay from is at a boundary
> and that it locally has the beginning of the record, and it has it
> because it already confirmed to the primary that it flushed to the
> next segment. Not sure which fix is better though.

We could it as I said, with some refactoring ReadRecord involving
reader plugin mechanism..

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi