Re: [HACKERS] One-shot expanded output in psql using \G

От David Fetter
Тема Re: [HACKERS] One-shot expanded output in psql using \G
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 08:22:40AM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 8:14 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> writes:
> > > This particular bike-shedding really doesn't seem to be terribly useful
> > > or sensible, to me.  \gx isn't "consistent" or "descriptive", frankly.
> >
> > Why not?  To me it reads as "\g with an x option".  The "x" refers to
> > the implied "\x", so it's not an arbitrary choice at all.
> >
> > The main problem I see with \G is that it's a dead end.  If somebody
> > comes along next year and says "I'd like a variant of \g with some other
> > frammish", what will we do?  There are no more case variants to use.
> >
> > In short, really the direction this ought to go in is \g[options] [file]
> > which is perfectly consistent with precedents in psql such as \d.
> > But there isn't any place where we've decided that upper case means
> > a variant of a lower case command.
> >

> +1

+1 from me, too, for what it's worth.

If we're expanding the meanings of \g, let's do it with at least some
eye to future expansions.

Best,
David.

Remember to vote!

От: "Daniel Verite"
Сообщение: Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: [HACKERS] PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless)