Re: [HACKERS] pg_ls_dir & friends still have a hard-coded superusercheck

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pg_ls_dir & friends still have a hard-coded superusercheck
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017-01-25 18:04:09 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Andres,
>
> * Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
> > >
> > > The notion that security is 'worse' under (a) is flawed- it's no
> > > different.
> >
> > Huh? Obviously that's nonesense, given the pg_ls_dir example.
>
> Robert's made it clear that he'd like to have a blanket rule that we
> don't have superuser checks in these code paths if they can be GRANT'd
> at the database level, which goes beyond pg_ls_dir.

That seems right to me.  I don't see much benefit for the superuser()
style checks, with a few exceptions.  Granting by default is obviously
an entirely different question.

> If the question was only about pg_ls_dir, then I still wouldn't be for
> it, because, as the bits you didn't quote discussed, it encourages users
> and 3rd party tool authors to base more things off of pg_ls_dir to
> look into the way PG stores data on disk, and affords more access than
> the monitoring user has any need for, none of which are good, imv.  It
> also discourages people from implementing proper solutions which you can
> 'just use pg_ls_dir()', which I also don't agree with.

In other words, you're trying to force people to do stuff your preferred
way, instead of allowing them to get things done is a reasonable manner.

> If you really want to do an ls, go talk to the OS.  ACLs are possible to
> provide that with more granularity than what would be available through
> pg_ls_dir().  We aren't in the "give a user the ability to do an ls"
> business, frankly.

Wut.

> > > I am suggesting that we shouldn't make it look like there are
> > > distinctions when there is actually no difference.  That is a good thing
> > > for our users because it keeps them informed about what they're actually
> > > doing when they grant access.
> >
> > This position doesn't make a lick of sense to me.  There's simply no
> > benefit at all in requiring to create wrapper functions, over allowing
> > to grant to non-superuser. Both is possible, secdef is a lot harder to
> > get right. And you already heavily started down the path of removing
> > superuser() type checks - you're just arguing to make it more or less
> > randomly less consistent.
>
> I find this bizarre considering I went through a detailed effort to go
> look at every superuser check in the system and discussed, on this list,
> the reasoning behind each and every one of them.  I do generally
> consider arbitrary access to syscalls via the database to be a privilege
> which really only the superuser should have.

Just because you argued doesn't mean I agree.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] tuplesort_gettuple_common() and *should_free argument
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] tuplesort_gettuple_common() and *should_free argument