Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Petr,

* Petr Jelinek (petr.jelinek@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 21/01/17 11:39, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Is it time to enable checksums by default, and give initdb a switch to
> > turn it off instead?
>
> I'd like to see benchmark first, both in terms of CPU and in terms of
> produced WAL (=network traffic) given that it turns on logging of hint bits.

Benchmarking was done previously, but I don't think it's really all that
relevant, we should be checksum'ing by default because we care about the
data and it's hard to get checksums enabled on a running system.

If this is going to be a serious argument made against making this
change (and, frankly, I don't believe that it should be) then what we
should do is simply provide a way for users to disable checksums.  It
would be one-way and require a restart, of course, but it wouldn't be
hard to do.

Thanks!

Stephen