[HACKERS] SearchSysCache, SysCacheGetAttr, and heap_getattr()

От Stephen Frost
Тема [HACKERS] SearchSysCache, SysCacheGetAttr, and heap_getattr()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

There's some inconsistency when it comes to if we actually use
SysCacheGetAttr() when pulling an attribute for a tuple we got via
SearchSysCache(), or if we use heap_getattr().

Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems less than ideal.  I've
generally been under the belief that using heap_getattr() is 'ok' when
we've already opened and locked the relation, but there are some other
checks done through SysCacheGetAttr() that you don't get with
heap_getattr()...

In short, should we be fixing these cases to always use
SysCacheGetAttr() when working with a tuple returned by
SearchSysCache()?

Thanks!

Stephen