Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Packages: Again
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:57:58AM -0800, Joshua Drake wrote:
> -hackers,
>
> I know we have talked about this before but today it was impressed upon me
> rather firmly. I presented a Webinar: Postgres for Oracle People. The
> attendees were 90% pl/pgsql developers. 330 people registered for an event
> that was only allowed to host 100 people. The webinar went on for 2 hours.
> (it was only scheduled for one hour, that is how interactive it was)
>
> By far the tagline of this webinar from attendees was, "We can not port
> without packages"
>
> So this is a reality. If we want tried and true Oracle developers to port to
> PostgreSQL, we must provide some level of package capability.
>
> There are some that would say we don't need them. You are right, we don't
> need them. We should however want them if we want to continue to stomp
> through the business sector and continue growth.
>
> I use this post to inspire conversation on how we can get this done.

So, we have a TODO item with links:
Add features of Oracle-style packages    A package would be a schema with session-local variables,public/private
functions,and initialization functions. It is alsopossible to implement these capabilities in any schema and not use
aseparate"packages" syntax at all.        proposal for PL packages for 8.3.        proposal: schema PL session
variables       proposal: session server side variables

Is there anything that needs updating there, or it is just a question of
getting someone to implement it?

http://enterprisedb.com