Re: [HACKERS] Reporting planning time with EXPLAIN

От Michael Banck
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Reporting planning time with EXPLAIN
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 02:08:55PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 09:26:21AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Ashutosh Bapat (ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com) wrote:
> > > We report planning and execution time when EXPLAIN ANALYZE is issued.
> > > We do not have facility to report planning time as part EXPLAIN
> > > output. In order to get the planning time, one has to issue EXPLAIN
> > > ANALYZE which involves executing the plan, which is unnecessary.
> >
> > After reading that, rather long, thread, I agree that just having it be
> > 'summary' is fine.  We don't really want to make it based off of
> > 'timing' or 'costs' or 'verbose', those are different things.
>
> I'm wondering, why is 'timing' (in the EXPLAIN scope) a different thing
> to planning time?  It might be that people don't expect it at this point
> and external tools might break (dunno), but in oder to print the
> planning time, 'timing' sounds clearer than 'summary' to me.

OK, after also rereading the thread, this indeed seems to be very
complicated, and I don't want to reopen this can of worms, sorry.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach