Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump vs. TRANSFORMs

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump vs. TRANSFORMs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom,

* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> > That's a good point, we might be doing things wrong in other places in
> > the code by using FirstNormalObjectId on pre-8.1 servers.
>
> > What I suggest then is an independent patch which uses a different
> > variable than FirstNormalObjectId and sets it correctly based on the
> > version of database that we're connecting to,
>
> +1

Alright, here we go- patches for every currently supported branch, each
tested from that version back to 7.1, back to 7.3 with a user-defined
CAST, and back to 9.5 with a user-defined TRANSFORM.  Also includes
regression tests for the TAP test structure in master and 9.6.

> pg_dump never intended to support pre-7.0 servers.  I do have 7.0-7.3
> servers in captivity and can do testing if you like.

You are certainly welcome to test and make sure I didn't break anything
for 7.0 servers, but I don't *think* I changed any code paths which have
differences between 7.0 and 7.1 (which I did test against).  That said,
I'm honestly not entirely sure what getCasts() is doing querying out the
"casts" from a 7.1 or 7.0 database.  The query does work, but none of
the "casts" returned have an OID beyond datlastsysoid and I'm not really
sure how to create one or if creating one is really a supported
operation.  If someone was able to create something that getCasts()
would try to dump out, and it used only built-in functions, they will
at least get an error now letting them know that it failed, instead of
having that "cast" silently ignored.

Trying to adjust the query in getFuncs() to account for that case makes
me concerned that we'd actually break more than fix things, and I really
don't like the idea of trying to blindly fix it for 7.0.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения