Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Faster Expression Processing and Tuple Deforming(including JIT)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Faster Expression Processing and Tuple Deforming(including JIT)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec  6, 2016 at 11:10:59AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > I concur with your feeling that hand-rolled JIT is right out.  But
> > I'm not sure that whatever performance gain we might get in this
> > direction is worth the costs.
>
> Well, I'm not impartial, but I don't think we do our users a service by
> leaving significant speedups untackled, and after spending a *LOT* of
> time on this, I don't see much other choice than JITing. Note that
> nearly everything performance sensitive is moving towards doing JITing
> in some form or another.

Agreed, we don't really have a choice.  After all the optimizations we
have done to so many subsystems, our executor is relatively slow and is
a major drag on our system, specifically for long-running queries.  The
base problem with the executor are the state machines at so many levels,
and we really can't optimize that while keeping a reasonable maintenance
burden.

This is where JIT and LLVM help.  I outlined two external projects that
were researching this in this blog entry:
http://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2016.html#April_1_2016

I am excited to now be seeing WIP code.

http://enterprisedb.com