== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 20 2016 ==

От David Fetter
Тема == PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 20 2016 ==
Дата
Список pgsql-announce
== PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 20 2016 ==

The new PostgreSQL magazine is out!
http://www.pgmag.org/

PGConf.ASIA 2016 will take place on December 1-3, 2016 in Akihabara, Tokyo,
Japan.  Registration is open.  There will be an UnConference on December 1 with
a separate registration required.
http://www.pgconf.asia/EN/registration/
http://www.pgconf.asia/EN/day-0/

PGConf India 2017 will be on March 2-3, 2017 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Proposals are due via <papers AT pgconf DOT in> by 31st December, 2016.
http://pgconf.in/

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

pgpool-II 3.6 beta1 released.
http://pgpool.net/mediawiki/index.php/Developer_releases

Amazon RDS now supports PostgreSQL 9.6.1
https://aws.amazon.com/rds/postgresql/

pg_squeeze 1.0 beta1, a tool to automate fighting table bloat, released.
http://www.cybertec.at/en/products/pg_squeeze-postgresql-extension-to-auto-rebuild-bloated-tables/

DB Doc 3.2, an automated PostgreSQL database schema documentation tool for
Windows, released.
http://www.yohz.com/dbdoc_details.htm

== PostgreSQL Jobs for November ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2016-11/threads.php

== PostgreSQL Local ==

CHAR(16) will take place in New York, December 6, 2016.
http://charconference.org/

PGDay.IT 2016 will take place in Prato on December the 13th 2016.
http://pgday.it

PostgreSQL@SCaLE will take place on March 2-3, 2017, at Pasadena Convention
Center, as part of SCaLE 15X.  The CfP is open until 15 November, 2016.
http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/15x/cfp

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david@fetter.org, German language
to pwn@pgug.de, Italian language to pwn@itpug.org.

== Applied Patches ==

Álvaro Herrera pushed:

- Fix duplication in ALTER MATERIALIZE VIEW synopsis.  Commit 3c4cf080879b
  should have removed SET TABLESPACE from the synopsis of ALTER MATERIALIZE VIEW
  as a possible "action" when it added a separate line for it in the main
  command listing, but failed to.  Repair.  Backpatch to 9.4, like the
  aforementioned commit.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8ce4f597abc530b3b59bcf3a3964f31e50054bcd

- Avoid pin scan for replay of XLOG_BTREE_VACUUM in all cases Replay of
  XLOG_BTREE_VACUUM during Hot Standby was previously thought to require complex
  interlocking that matched the requirements on the master. This required an
  O(N) operation that became a significant problem with large indexes, causing
  replication delays of seconds or in some cases minutes while the
  XLOG_BTREE_VACUUM was replayed.  This commit skips the “pin scan” that was
  previously required, by observing in detail when and how it is safe to do so,
  with full documentation. The pin scan is skipped only in replay; the VACUUM
  code path on master is not touched here.  No tests included. Manual tests
  using an additional patch to view WAL records and their timing have shown the
  change in WAL records and their handling has successfully reduced replication
  delay.  This is a back-patch of commits 687f2cd7a015, 3e4b7d87988f,
  b60284261375 by Simon Riggs, to branches 9.4 and 9.5.  No further backpatch is
  possible because this depends on catalog scans being MVCC.  I (Álvaro)
  additionally updated a slight problem in the README, which explains why this
  touches the 9.6 and master branches.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f65b94f63962e9f7e144a469bc1750286ddaee27

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Allow individual TAP tests to be run via PROVE_TESTS.  Add a new optional
  Makefile variable PROVE_TESTS that, if passed as a space-separated list of
  paths relative to the Makefile invoking $(prove_check) or
  $(prove_installcheck), runs just those tests instead of t/*.pl .  From: Craig
  Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> Reviewed-by: Michael Paquier
  <michael.paquier@gmail.com>
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9ca7b0bf016364c74d38f66c7050be915bfea908

- Build HTML documentation using XSLT stylesheets by default.  The old DSSSL
  build is still available for a while using the make target "oldhtml".
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e36ddab11735052841b4eff96642187ec9a8a7bc

- doc: Further XSLT HTML build performance optimization.  Cut out some expensive
  stuff from the HTML head element that we don't really need.  This was
  previously discussed as part of e8306745e3504c642f7abad411139d5630e29fac, but
  ended up separate because it changes the output contents slightly.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/380895f2deb18ed9e7a8be69961af2ed221ba9d3

- Add pg_sequences view.  Like pg_tables, pg_views, and others, this view
  contains information about sequences in a way that is independent of the
  system catalog layout but more comprehensive than the information schema.  To
  help implement the view, add a new internal function pg_sequence_last_value()
  to return the last value of a sequence.  This is kept separate from
  pg_sequence_parameters() to separate querying run-time state from catalog-like
  information.  Reviewed-by: Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se>
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/67dc4ccbb2e1c27da823eced66d9217a5652cbb0

Magnus Hagander pushed:

- Fix typo in comment.  The function was renamed in 908e23473, but the comment
  never learned about it.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c99f876e9a1e2a9a04d02a8aaf046cd9125e9264

Andres Freund pushed:

- Provide NO_INSTALLCHECK option for pgxs.  This allows us to avoid running the
  regression tests in contrib modules like pg_stat_statement in a less ugly
  manner.  Discussion: <22432.1478968242@sss.pgh.pa.us>
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ffa8c3d8521bbd7c6da497264f1a12572a1ff713

Robert Haas pushed:

- pgbench: Increase maximum size of log filename from 64 to MAXPGPATH.  Commit
  41124a91e61fc6d9681c1e8b15ba30494e84d643 allowed the transaction log file
  prefix to be changed but left in place the existing 64-character limit on the
  total length of a log file name.  It's possible that could be inconvenient for
  somebody, so increase the limit to MAXPGPATH, which ought to be enough for
  anybody.  Per a suggestion from Tom Lane.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/56eba9b8a1120c861868dd3d86d927a9e3182880

- Fix broken statement in UCS_to_most.pl.  This has been wrong for a very long
  time, and it's puzzling to me how it ever worked for anyone.  Kyotaro
  Horiguchi
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/00c6d8077f39191a6f61a847ce7d55073d8f5a6f

- Limit the number of number of tapes used for a sort to 501.  Gigantic numbers
  of tapes don't work out well.  Original patch by Peter Geoghegan; comments
  entirely rewritten by me.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fc19c1801bd2dbee1043b0c0b62e07747d30ea1c

- Reserve zero as an invalid DSM handle.  Previously, the handle for the control
  segment could not be zero, but some other DSM segment could potentially have a
  handle value of zero.  However, that means that if someone wanted to store a
  dsm_handle that might or might not be valid, they would need a separate
  boolean to keep track of whether the associated value is legal.  That's
  annoying, so change things so that no DSM segment can ever have a handle of 0
  - or as we call it here, DSM_HANDLE_INVALID.  Thomas Munro.  This was
  submitted as part of a much larger patch to add an malloc-like allocator for
  dynamic shared memory, but this part seems like a good idea independently of
  the rest of the patch.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b40b4dd9e10ea701c8d47ccba9407fc32ed384e5

- Remove or reduce verbosity of some debug messages.  The debug messages that
  merely print StartTransactionCommand, CommitTransactionCommand, ProcessUtilty,
  or ProcessQuery with no additional details seem to be useless.  Get rid of
  them.  The transaction status messages produced by ShowTransactionState are
  occasionally useful, but they are extremely verbose, producing multiple lines
  of log output every time they fire, which can happens multiple times per
  transaction.  So, reduce the level to DEBUG5; avoid emitting an extra line
  just to explain which debug point is at issue; and tighten up the rest of the
  message so it doesn't use quite so much horizontal space.  With these changes,
  it's possible to run a somewhat busy system with a log level even as high as
  DEBUG4, whereas previously anything above DEBUG2 would flood the log with
  output that probably wasn't really all that useful.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a43f1939d5dcd02f4df1604a68392332168e4be0

Tom Lane pushed:

- Account for catalog snapshot in PGXACT->xmin updates.  The CatalogSnapshot was
  not plugged into SnapshotResetXmin()'s accounting for whether MyPgXact->xmin
  could be cleared or advanced.  In normal transactions this was masked by the
  fact that the transaction snapshot would be older, but during backend startup
  and certain utility commands it was possible to re-use the CatalogSnapshot
  after MyPgXact->xmin had been cleared, meaning that recently-deleted rows
  could be pruned even though this snapshot could still see them, causing
  unexpected catalog lookup failures.  This effect appears to be the explanation
  for a recent failure on buildfarm member piculet.  To fix, add the
  CatalogSnapshot to the RegisteredSnapshots heap whenever it is valid.  In the
  previous logic, it was possible for the CatalogSnapshot to remain valid across
  waits for client input, but with this change that would mean it delays advance
  of global xmin in cases where it did not before.  To avoid possibly causing
  new table-bloat problems with clients that sit idle for long intervals, add
  code to invalidate the CatalogSnapshot before waiting for client input.  (When
  the backend is busy, it's unlikely that the CatalogSnapshot would be the
  oldest snap for very long, so we don't worry about forcing early invalidation
  of it otherwise.) In passing, remove the CatalogSnapshotStale flag in favor of
  using "CatalogSnapshot != NULL" to represent validity, as we do for the other
  special snapshots in snapmgr.c.  And improve some obsolete comments.  No
  regression test because I don't know a deterministic way to cause this
  failure.  But the stress test shown in the original discussion provokes "cache
  lookup failed for relation 1255" within a few dozen seconds for me.
  Back-patch to 9.4 where MVCC catalog scans were introduced.  (Note: it's quite
  easy to produce similar failures with the same test case in branches before
  9.4.  But MVCC catalog scans were supposed to fix that.) Discussion:
  <16447.1478818294@sss.pgh.pa.us>
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ffaa44cb559db332baeee7d25dedd74a61974203

- Allow DOS-style line endings in ~/.pgpass files.  On Windows, libc will mask
  \r\n line endings for us, since we read the password file in text mode.  But
  that doesn't happen on Unix.  People who share password files across both
  systems might have \r\n line endings in a file they use on Unix, so as a
  convenience, ignore trailing \r.  Per gripe from Josh Berkus.  In passing, put
  the existing check for empty line somewhere where it's actually useful, ie
  after stripping the newline not before.  Vik Fearing, adjusted a bit by me
  Discussion: <0de37763-5843-b2cc-855e-5d0e5df25807@agliodbs.com>
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0a7481930c788e9d74a154aac0c8b401fc6a81f9

- Check that result tupdesc has exactly 1 column in return_next scalar case.
  This should always be true, but since we're relying on a tuple descriptor
  passed from outside pltcl itself, let's check.  Per a gripe from Coverity.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4ecd1974377ffb4d6d72874ba14fcd23965b1792

- Re-pgindent src/bin/pg_dump/* Cleanup for recent patches --- it's not much
  change, but I got annoyed while re-indenting the view-rule fix I'm working on.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fcf70e0dbca1432959be5f3557acd546d639c9ba

- Improve pg_dump/pg_restore --create --if-exists logic.  Teach it not to
  complain if the dropStmt attached to an archive entry is actually spelled
  CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW, since that will happen due to an upcoming bug fix.
  Also, if it doesn't recognize a dropStmt, have it print a WARNING and then
  emit the dropStmt unmodified.  That seems like a much saner behavior than
  Assert'ing or dumping core due to a null-pointer dereference, which is what
  would happen before :-(.  Back-patch to 9.4 where this option was introduced.
  Discussion: <19092.1479325184@sss.pgh.pa.us>
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ac888986fc656c0badb0a4918b3581e2ebcb154a

- Fix pg_dump's handling of circular dependencies in views.  pg_dump's
  traditional solution for breaking a circular dependency involving a view was
  to create the view with CREATE TABLE and then later issue CREATE RULE
  "_RETURN" ... to convert the table to a view, relying on the backend's very
  very ancient code that supports making views that way.  We've wanted to get
  rid of that kluge for a long time, but the thing that finally motivates doing
  something about it is the recognition that this method fails with the --clean
  option, because it leads to issuing DROP RULE "_RETURN" followed by DROP TABLE
  --- and the backend won't let you drop a view's _RETURN rule.  Instead, let's
  break circular dependencies by initially creating the view using CREATE VIEW
  AS SELECT NULL::columntype AS columnname, ... (so that it has the right column
  names and types to support external references, but no dependencies beyond the
  column data types), and then later dumping the ON SELECT rule using the
  spelling CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW.  This method wasn't available when this code
  was originally written, but it's been possible since PG 7.3, so it seems fine
  to start relying on it now.  To solve the --clean problem, make the dropStmt
  for an ON SELECT rule be CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW with the same dummy target
  list as above.  In this way, during the DROP phase, we first reduce the view
  to have no extra dependencies, and then we can drop it entirely when we've
  gotten rid of whatever had a circular dependency on it.  (Note: this should
  work adequately well with the --if-exists option, since the CREATE OR REPLACE
  VIEW will go through whether the view exists or not.  It could fail if the
  view exists with a conflicting column set, but we don't really support --clean
  against a non-matching database anyway.) This allows cleaning up some other
  kluges inside pg_dump, notably that we don't need a notion of reloptions
  attached to a rule anymore.  Although this is a bug fix, commit to HEAD only
  for now.  The problem's existed for a long time and we've had relatively few
  complaints, so it doesn't really seem worth taking risks to fix it in the back
  branches.  We might revisit that choice if no problems emerge.  Discussion:
  <19092.1479325184@sss.pgh.pa.us>
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d8c05aff56be92dda889abc89e3f3921d1c29c30

- Code review for GUC serialization/deserialization code.  The serialization
  code dumped core for a string-valued GUC whose value is NULL, which is a legal
  state.  The infrastructure isn't capable of transmitting that state exactly,
  but fortunately, transmitting an empty string instead should be close enough
  (compare, eg, commit e45e990e4).  The code potentially underestimated the
  space required to format a real-valued variable, both because it made an
  unwarranted assumption that %g output would never be longer than %e output,
  and because it didn't count right even for %e format.  In practice this would
  pretty much always be masked by overestimates for other variables, but it's
  still wrong.  Also fix boundary-case error in read_gucstate, incorrect
  handling of the case where guc_sourcefile is non-NULL but zero length (not
  clear that can happen, but if it did, this code would get totally confused),
  and confusingly useless check for a NULL result from read_gucstate.  Andreas
  Seltenreich discovered the core dump; other issues noted while reading nearby
  code.  Back-patch to 9.5 where this code was introduced.  Michael Paquier and
  Tom Lane Discussion: <871sy78wno.fsf@credativ.de>
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/13671b4b22ae4bd345c62e7c0b41d717b8a2e19b

- Fix latent costing error in create_merge_append_path.
  create_merge_append_path should use the path rowcount it just computed, not
  rel->tuples, for costing purposes.  Those numbers should always be the same at
  present, but if we ever support parameterized MergeAppend paths (a case this
  function is otherwise prepared for), the former would be right and the latter
  wrong.  No need for back-patch since the problem is only latent.  Ashutosh
  Bapat Discussion:
  <CAFjFpRek+cLCnTo24youuGtsq4zRphEB8EUUPjDxZjnL4n4HYQ@mail.gmail.com>
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0832f2db68cc43524a240db47d0428cc9525723e

- Prevent multicolumn expansion of "foo.*" in an UPDATE source expression.
  Because we use transformTargetList() for UPDATE as well as SELECT tlists, the
  code accidentally tried to expand a "*" reference into several columns.  This
  is nonsensical, because the UPDATE syntax provides exactly one target column
  to put the value into.  The immediate result was that
  transformUpdateTargetList() got confused and reported "UPDATE target count
  mismatch --- internal error".  It seems better to treat such a reference as a
  plain whole-row variable, as it would be in other contexts.  (This could
  produce useful results when the target column is of composite type.) Fix by
  tweaking transformTargetList() to perform *-expansion only conditionally,
  depending on its exprKind parameter.  Back-patch to 9.3.  The problem exists
  further back, but a fix would be much more invasive before that, because
  transformTargetList() wasn't told what kind of list it was working on.
  Doesn't seem worth the trouble given the lack of field reports.  (I only
  noticed it because I was checking the code while trying to improve the
  documentation about how we handle "foo.*".) Discussion:
  <4308.1479595330@sss.pgh.pa.us>
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c5f365f3ab21a345b7a109bc0411895536e9fa69

Stephen Frost pushed:

- Clean up pg_dump tests, re-enable BLOB testing Add a loop to check that each
  test covers all of the pg_dump runs.  We (I) had been a bit sloppy when adding
  new runs and not making sure to mark if they should be under like or unlike
  for each test, this loop makes sure that the test system will complain if any
  are forgotten in the future.  The loop also correctly handles the 'catch all'
  cases, which are used to avoid running unnecessary specific checks when a
  single catch-all can be done (eg: a no-acl run should not have any GRANT
  commands).  Also, re-enable the testing of blobs, but use lo_from_bytea()
  instead of trying to be cute and writing out to a file and then reading it
  back in with psql, which proved to be difficult for some buildfarm members.
  This allows us to add support for testing the --no-blobs option which will be
  getting added shortly, provided the buildfarm doesn't blow up on this.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8f91f323b4feef0371cd3db51be3007e44abd5e8

== Pending Patches ==

Tomas Vondra sent in another revision of a patch to add two slab-like memory
allocators.

Laurenz Albe sent in another revision of a patch to ensure that writes are
synced to disk.

Michaël Paquier and Robert Haas traded patches to add SCRAM auth with provisions
for more types.

Takayuki Tsunakawa sent in another revision of a patch to fix a situation where
a cascaded standby gets stuck and can't catch up.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in another revision of a patch to add asynchronous
execution.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in another revision of a patch to rework psql's tab
completion system.

Magnus Hagander sent in a patch to add a capability to jsonb_delete to accept an
array of keys rather than a singleton one.

Kuntal Ghosh sent in another revision of a patch to add a WAL consistency check
facility.

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to enable SERIALIZABLE
isolation mode on standby servers.

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to create dynamic shared memory
areas.

Masahiko Sawada sent in another revision of a patch to enable quorum commit for
multiple synchronous standbys.

Craig Ringer sent in two more revisions of a patch to enable logical decoding
timeline following.

Andrew Borodin sent in another revision of a patch to implement lazy GiST
indexing.

Mark Kirkwood sent in another revision of a patch to switch to the CMake build
system.

Pavel Stěhule sent in three more revisions of a patch to implement \setfileref
in psql.

Etsuro Fujita and Ashutosh Bapat traded patches to push down more full joins to
FDWs.

Amit Langote sent in three more revisions of a patch to implement declarative
partitioning.

Magnus Hagander sent in a patch to log "snapshot too old" conditions.

Laurenz Albe and Tobias Bussmann traded patches to enable parallel prepared
statement execution.

Karl O. Pinc and Gilles Darold traded patches to implement pg_current_logfile().

Daniel Vérité sent in another revision of a patch to add capabilities to psql
hooks for variables.

Ramon Lawrence sent in another revision of a patch to implement Gather Merge.

Christian Ullrich sent in another revision of a patch to add putenv support for
msvcrt from Visual Studio 2013.

Rahila Syed sent in a patch to fix some issues that can result in an invalid
collation error.

Haribabu Kommi sent in another revision of a patch to add a pg_hba_file_settings
view.

Michaël Paquier sent in two more revisions of a patch to fix cleanup of unlogged
tables.

Claudio Freire sent in another revision of a patch to enable vacuum to use more
than 1GB of work mem.

Craig Ringer sent in a patch to document that perl 5.8.4 or higher is required
for TAP tests.

Craig Ringer sent in a patch to allow walsender to exit on conflict with
recovery.

Etsuro Fujita sent in a patch to push down more UPDATEs/DELETEs in the
postgres_fdw.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in two approaches to fix an issue where WALs were being
recycled too aggressively in synchronous replication.  The first injects a
pause.  The second blocks WAL insertion until sync replication reaches the first
surviving segments.

Michaël Paquier sent in two more revisions of a patch to clean up orphan temp
tables with autovacuum.

Mithun Cy sent in two more revisions of a patch to implement failover on the
libpq connect level.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in a patch to fix estimated tuple counts for appendrel.

Pavel Stěhule sent in another revision of a patch to implement xmltable().

Stephen Frost sent in a doc patch to clarify that blobs are considered data and
not schema for pg_dump purposes.

John Gorman sent in a patch to speed up dynamic shared memory hash tables.

Gilles Darold sent in a patch to add psql tab completion for ALTER DEFAULT
PRIVILEGES.

Petr Jelínek sent in another revision of a patch to add logical replication.

В списке pgsql-announce по дате отправления: