[pgapt - Feature #1846] (New) Add Support for ARM (fwd)

От Christoph Berg
Тема [pgapt - Feature #1846] (New) Add Support for ARM (fwd)
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-debian
We haven't yet figured out how to make redmine send notifications to
the mailing list, so for the time being I'll forward some of the
messages here... (Let us know if you have suggestions how to fix
that!)

Christoph
Issue #1846 has been reported by Miles Elam.

Feature #1846: Add Support for ARM
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1846

* Author: Miles Elam
* Assignee:
* Category:
* Target version:
Adding a build for armhf would allow Raspberry Pis to run the latest version of PostgreSQL. 9.5 seems to run fine on it
usingthe latest Ubuntu release, and the packages can be built manually, but would miss out on convenient regular
updateslike the rest of the architectures supported.

To change your notification preferences, please click here: https://redmine.postgresql.org/my/account
Issue #1846 has been updated by Christoph Berg.

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion, ARM is certainly next on the list of architectures to be added to apt.postgresql.org.

However, I have my doubts if armhf is the right choice. I'd think it would make more sense to target a 64bit platform
(i.e.arm64 in Debian terms). 32bit puts tight limits in nowadays terms on how much memory can be addressed, which is
especiallycumbersome for database servers.

Also, we would need a build host that could build binaries with acceptable speed - a rasppi wouldn't do I guess.

Christoph

Feature #1846: Add Support for ARM
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1846#change-4701

Adding a build for armhf would allow Raspberry Pis to run the latest version of PostgreSQL. 9.5 seems to run fine on it
usingthe latest Ubuntu release, and the packages can be built manually, but would miss out on convenient regular
updateslike the rest of the architectures supported.

To change your notification preferences, please click here: https://redmine.postgresql.org/my/account
Issue #1846 has been updated by Miles Elam.

Unfortunately to my knowledge, no distros support arm64 even though the CPUs are 64-bit capable. With 1GB of RAM, I
don'tthink a 64-bit target is needed anyway. I know of no similar SBCs that have more than 4GB.

Feature #1846: Add Support for ARM
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1846#change-4705

Adding a build for armhf would allow Raspberry Pis to run the latest version of PostgreSQL. 9.5 seems to run fine on it
usingthe latest Ubuntu release, and the packages can be built manually, but would miss out on convenient regular
updateslike the rest of the architectures supported.

To change your notification preferences, please click here: https://redmine.postgresql.org/my/account
Issue #1846 has been updated by Miles Elam.

As for building with speed, a rasppi may be slow, but multiple pis are still cheap and can at least interleave builds.
Thenagain, lagging a build by a day behind the others wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Feature #1846: Add Support for ARM
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1846#change-4706

Adding a build for armhf would allow Raspberry Pis to run the latest version of PostgreSQL. 9.5 seems to run fine on it
usingthe latest Ubuntu release, and the packages can be built manually, but would miss out on convenient regular
updateslike the rest of the architectures supported.

To change your notification preferences, please click here: https://redmine.postgresql.org/my/account
Issue #1846 has been updated by Miles Elam.

At any rate, let me know if there's any way I can help.

Feature #1846: Add Support for ARM
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1846#change-4707

Miles Elam wrote:
> As for building with speed, a rasppi may be slow, but multiple pis are still cheap and can at least interleave
builds.Then again, lagging a build by a day behind the others wouldn't be the end of the world either.

At the moment all builds are done as "configurations" of "matrix" jobs in Jenkins. Having to wait for slow builds is
notan option in that setting, some packages take already almost an hour to build, and we have to build these for 14
targetnow (+ whatever number of distributions arm* would support).

Feature #1846: Add Support for ARM
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1846#change-4708

От: apt.postgresql.org repository
Сообщение: pgbackrest updated to version 1.09-1.pgdg+1
От: Jason Petersen
Сообщение: Ubuntu: Remove Wily, add Yakkety