Re: CF app and patch series

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: CF app and patch series
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Craig Ringer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Now that it's becoming more common to post patch series, not just
> standalone patches, it might be worth looking at how the CF app can
> help manage them.
>
> Any ideas?

I agree that we don't consider this case at all currently and that it's
causing some pain.

MIME parsing is mind-boggling.  Trying to figure out *one* patch file
from an email is already pretty difficult.  Trying to figure out more
than one might be nightmarish.  Maybe Magnus will contradict me and say
it's trivial to do -- that'd be great.

I don't have any great ideas for how to support this; I'd say it would
be something like the CF entry has sub-entries one for each patch in the
series, that can be closed independently.  This probably involves
surgery to the CF database and app which I'm not volunteering to write,
however.  Django-enabled contributors speak up now ...

I think for the time being we should keep the single entry as "needs
review" or whatever open state until there is nothing left in
committable state, then close as "committed"; the parts that were not
committed can be resent as a new series to a later CF.  In the
annotations section, add a link to the latest version each time it's
posted, along with some indication of how many parts are left[1].  Perhaps
if a part is committed and there's no new version submitted soon, also
add an annotation to indicate that.

[1] Do not, as I've seen some do in the past, delete the old annotations
while adding new ones.