Re: PGDATA / data_directory

От Christoph Berg
Тема Re: PGDATA / data_directory
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Re: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais 2016-09-07 <20160907140816.3e13eaa3@firost>
> Indeed. I never noticed data_directory was set in postgresql.conf file...
>
> But then, why starting PostgreSQL with the following command ?
>
>   /usr/lib/postgresql/9.4/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.4/main \
>     -c config_file=/etc/postgresql/9.4/main/postgresql.conf
>
> It seems the following one work as expected and seems more logical with this
> setup:
>
>   /usr/lib/postgresql/9.4/bin/postgres -D /etc/postgresql/9.4/main/

TBH, I've been wondering about that myself, but never bothered to to
anything about it. Digging in the (now git) history, it's been like
that from the very beginning in 2005:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-postgresql/postgresql-common.git/commit/?id=9fa563e78366db3b27d680607c202b6fbb00bef2

It got touched a bit when 8.0 support was added, but basically not
changed since then.

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-postgresql/postgresql-common.git/commit/?id=fecbaad06c3683452228d31c0baffb01ba626a9a

I'll see if I can simply remove it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Christoph