Re: PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE

От David Fetter
Тема Re: PoC: Make it possible to disallow WHERE-less UPDATE and DELETE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 03:24:28AM +0200, Vik Fearing wrote:
> On 27/07/16 03:15, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On 7/26/16 6:14 PM, Vik Fearing wrote:
> >> As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, you can just do WHERE true
> >> to get around it, so why on Earth have it PGC_SUSET?
> >
> > I'm not sure whether it's supposed to guard against typos and
> > possibly buggy SQL string concatenation in application code.  So
> > it would help against accidental mistakes, whereas putting a WHERE
> > TRUE in there would be an intentional override.
>
> If buggy SQL string concatenation in application code is your
> argument, quite a lot of them add "WHERE true" so that they can just
> append a bunch of "AND ..." clauses without worrying if it's the
> first (or last, whatever), so I'm not sure this is protecting
> anything.

I am sure that I'm not the only one who's been asked for this feature
because people other than me have piped up on this thread to that very
effect.

I understand that there may well be lots of really meticulous people
on this list, people who would never accidentally do an unqualified
DELETE on a table in production, but I can't claim to be one of them
because I have, and not just once.  It's under once a decade, but even
that's too many.

I'm not proposing to make this feature default, or even available by
default, but I am totally certain that this is the kind of feature
people would really appreciate, even if it doesn't prevent every
catastrophe.

Best,
David.

Remember to vote!