Re: pgsql: doc: mention dependency on collation libraries

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pgsql: doc: mention dependency on collation libraries
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 09:59:42AM +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Bruce Momjian 2016-07-20 <20160720161318.GE24559@momjian.us>

> > > OK, good point.  I was more focused on cluster moves than an OS change.
> > > How is the attached patch?
> >
> > With the mention of different operating systems, there is no need to
> > mention pg_upgrade anymore as it is already covered.  Updated patch
> > attached.
>
> With that argument, you could drop snapshot restore and replication as
> well, as "different OS (version)" is the real problem. Still,
> mentioning pg_upgrade would highlight the fact that it doesn't "fix"
> the problem in the same sense that pg_dump would. Collation changes
> are subtle changes that are surprising in many cases, so mention a few
> cases makes people aware more.

I mentioned snapshot restore and replication as a way to highlight that
it is binary transfer that is the problem, not pg_dump.

You are right about pg_upgrade not fixing the problem, but since it only
runs on the same machine, I don't see it as a good example.