Re: One process per session lack of sharing

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: One process per session lack of sharing
Дата
Re: One process per session lack of sharing  (AMatveev@bitec.ru)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2016-07-18 15:47:58 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I think the risk profile is exactly the opposite of what you are
> suggesting here.  If we provide an option to compile the server with
> all global variables converted to thread-local variables, there's
> really not a whole lot that can break, AFAICS.

Using TLS will slow down things noticeably though. So if we were to go
there, we'd have to make up for some constant slowdown.

> We'll technically be multi-threaded but the code need not know or care
> about the other threads; only in the event of a memory clobber can
> they affect each other.

But that'll make it pretty hard to take advantage of multi-threading to
a meaningful degree. Except for being able to create shared memory after
the fact - quite useful! - there'd not be much point.

- Andres