Re: Reviewing freeze map code

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2016-07-18 01:33:10 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2016-07-18 10:02:52 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:

> > > I don't see how. Without a cleanup lock it's not possible to mark a page
> > > all-visible/frozen.
> > >

> > Consider the below scenario.
> >
> > Vacuum
> > a. acquires a cleanup lock for page - 10
> > b. busy in checking visibility of tuples
> > --assume, here it takes some time and in the meantime Session-1
> > performs step (a) and (b) and start waiting in step- (c)
> > c. marks the page as all-visible (PageSetAllVisible)
> > d. unlockandrelease the buffer
> >
> > Session-1
> > a. In heap_lock_tuple(), readbuffer for page-10
> > b. check PageIsAllVisible(), found page is not all-visible, so didn't
> > acquire the visbilitymap_pin
> > c. LockBuffer in ExlusiveMode  - here it will wait for vacuum to
> > release the lock
> > d. Got the lock, but now the page is marked as all-visible, so ideally
> > need to recheck the page and acquire the visibilitymap_pin
>
> So, I've tried pretty hard to reproduce that. While the theory above is
> sound, I believe the relevant code-path is essentially dead for SQL
> callable code, because we'll always hold a buffer pin before even
> entering heap_update/heap_lock_tuple.  It's possible that you could
> concoct a dangerous scenario with follow_updates though; but I can't
> immediately see how.  Due to that, and based on the closing in beta
> release, I'm planning to push a version of the patch that the returns
> fixed; but not this.  It seems better to have the majority of the fix
> in.

Pushed that way. Let's try to figure out a good solution to a) test this
case b) how to fix it in a reasonable way. Note that there's also
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20160718071729.tlj4upxhaylwv75n%40alap3.anarazel.de
which seems related.

Regards,

Andres

От: AMatveev@bitec.ru
Сообщение: Re: One process per session lack of sharing
Сообщение: Re: One process per session lack of sharing