Re: BUG #14250: Error in subquery fails silently and parent query continues to execute

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: BUG #14250: Error in subquery fails silently and parent query continues to execute
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 6:57 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
>
> > David G. Johnston wrote:

> > > ​Will never happen.  I'm not even sure it would be desirable in a
> > > greenfield situation let alone in an established product.
> >
> > The problem is that this is defined by the SQL standard, so we're not at
> > liberty to change it.
>
> ​​We as a product are at liberty to make the change.​

Sure, if we were open to the option of going against the standard.

> > The opinion of several people is that it would be
> > safer to require the qualification.  If this were a green field I'm sure
> > we'd do it differently.
> >
> ​The fact that it is standard is my point.  A brand new database product
> today would likely choose to adhere to the standard and/or prevailing
> convention on this topic instead of going it alone and requiring the
> qualification.

I meant "if the standard was being written today they would probably
choose to do differently, seeing how the initial choice is so prone to
causing trouble."