Re: Fastest memmove in C

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Fastest memmove in C
Дата
Список pgsql-general
* Merlin Moncure (mmoncure@gmail.com) wrote:
> Well, testing is the key here. Microbechmarks demonstrating the value
> are not enough; proven statistically relevant benchmarks generated
> from postgres are the data points needed to make an assessment.  My
> recommendation would be to dynamically link in these routines to
> postgres and start running a battery of memory heavy tests (start with
> pgbench -S on a small database).  Ideally you could tease out some
> measurable benefit; license discussions and formal integration
> strategies are secondary to that IMO.

While I agree with this, I'm trying to figure out why this isn't being
incorporated into glibc instead..?  Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't
see a discussion of that in the article.  I'd certainly rather rely on
glibc if we can, though I know that we've ended up implementing our own
routines at times too.  On the other hand, if there's a reason the glibc
folks don't want this, we should consider that..

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения