Re: Stored procedure version control

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема Re: Stored procedure version control
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 09:16:49AM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> It's not really necessary to create version down scripts.  In five
> years of managing complex database environments we've never had to
> roll a version back and likely never will; in the event of a disaster
> it's probably better to restore from backup anyways.

Also, a very robust approach to rollback is to clone the
existing databse before upgrading the schema (if feasible due
to size). This is the approach GNUmed uses - migration
scripts are up only, as many of them as possible are
idempotent, and we clone the existing database into a new one
before the upgrade is run. That way, users can go back to the
previous database immediately anytime and reattempt the
upgrade when convenient.

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346