Re: BUG #14217: Respect $CFLAGS from /usr/local/etc/config.site

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: BUG #14217: Respect $CFLAGS from /usr/local/etc/config.site
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
dpa-postgres@aegee.org wrote:

> Bug reference:      14217
> Logged by:          Dilian Palauzov
> Email address:      dpa-postgres@aegee.org
> PostgreSQL version: 9.6beta2
> Operating system:   Linux
>
> configure generated by Autoconf loads the file $prefix/etc/config.site and
> if CFLAGS is defined there, its value is used when building the project.
>
> Because in postgresql configure.in contains on line 400 "unset CFLAGS" the
> value of $CFLAGS from config.site is discarded when building postgresql,
> contrary to $LDFLAGS from config.site.

This report is correct; we're not doing the right thing here.  The
autoconf manual explicitely says:

    Site files are also good places to set default values for other output
    variables, such as CFLAGS, if you need to give them non-default values:
    anything you would normally do, repetitively, on the command line. If
    you use non-default values for prefix or exec_prefix (wherever you
    locate the site file), you can set them in the site file if you specify
    it with the CONFIG_SITE environment variable.
https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.69/html_node/Site-Defaults.html

The way it works today completely ignores settings in config.site, which is
clearly bogus per the above manual, but I doubt that blanket removal of the
"unset" is the right solution.  The line was added by this commit:

commit 801427abc2924195b35be19abe4f64dbbea82263