Re: pg_bsd_indent - improvements around offsetof and sizeof

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_bsd_indent - improvements around offsetof and sizeof
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 03:13:23PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Piotr Stefaniak
> > <postgres@piotr-stefaniak.me> wrote:
> >> I think I've managed to improve pg_bsd_indent's handling of two types of
> >> cases.
>
> > Wow, that seems pretty great.  I haven't scrutinized your changes to
> > pg_bsd_indent, but effect_on_pg.diff looks like a large improvement.
>
> I'm excited about this too, not least because it suggests that maybe
> bsdindent isn't quite as opaque as it appears.  I'd love to see a fix
> for its brain damage around function pointer typedef formatting, too.
>
> Assuming this patch withstands more careful review, we will need to think
> about project policy for how/when to apply such fixes.  The last time
> we made any real change to pgindent's behavior was when we changed its
> wrapping of comment blocks back around 8.1 ... and I cursed that decision
> at least weekly for the next five years, because it caused constant
> back-patching pain.  If we make a change like this, I think we should
> *strongly* consider reindenting all the live back branches along with
> HEAD.

Uh, we have been running on back branches anytime the pgindent rules
change as part of policy, e.g.:
commit 2616a5d300e5bb5a2838d2a065afa3740e08727fAuthor: Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>Date:   Tue May 6 11:26:26 2014
-0400   Remove tabs after spaces in C comments    This was not changed in HEAD, but will be done later as part of a
pgindentrun.  Future pgindent runs will also do this.    Report by Tom Lane    Backpatch through all supported
branches,but not HEAD

http://enterprisedb.com

Сообщение: Re: Gin index on array of uuid
Сообщение: Re: Gin index on array of uuid