Re: Reviewing freeze map code

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Дата
Re: Reviewing freeze map code  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2016-06-21 08:59:13 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> Can we consider to use some strategy to avoid deadlocks without releasing
> the lock on old page?  Consider if we could have a mechanism such that
> RelationGetBufferForTuple() will ensure that it always returns a new buffer
> which has targetblock greater than the old block (on which we already held
> a lock).  I think here tricky part is whether we can get anything like that
> from FSM. Also, there could be cases where we need to extend the heap when
> there were pages in heap with space available, but we have ignored them
> because there block number is smaller than the block number on which we
> have lock.

I can't see that being acceptable, from a space-usage POV.

> > So far the best idea I have - and it's really not a good one - is to
> > invent a new hint-bit that tells concurrent updates to acquire a
> > heavyweight tuple lock, while releasing the page-level lock. If that
> > hint bit does not require any other modifications - and we don't need an
> > xid in xmax for this use case - that'll avoid doing all the other
> > `already_marked` stuff early, which should address the correctness
> > issue.
> >

> Don't we need to clear such a flag in case of error?  Also don't we need to
> reset it later, like when modifying the old page later before WAL.

If the flag just says "acquire a heavyweight lock", then there's no need
for that. That's cheap enough to just do if it's errorneously set.  At
least I can't see any reason.

> >  It's kinda invasive though, and probably has performance
> > implications.
> >

> Do you see performance implication due to requirement of heavywieht tuple
> lock in more cases than now or something else?

Because of that, yes.

> Some others ways could be:
>
> Before releasing the lock on buffer containing old tuple, clear the VM and
> visibility info from page and WAL log it.  I think this could impact
> performance depending on how frequently we need to perform this action.

Doubling the number of xlog inserts in heap_update would certainly be
measurable :(. My guess is that the heavyweight tuple lock approach will
be less expensive.

Andres