Re: Changed SRF in targetlist handling

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Changed SRF in targetlist handling
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 02:39:54PM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 2:13 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> >> +1 on removing LCM.
> >
> > As a green field project, that would make total sense.  As a thing
> > decades in, it's not clear to me that that would break less stuff or
> > break it worse than simply disallowing SRFs in the target list, which
> > has been rejected on bugward-compatibility grounds.  I suspect it
> > would be even worse because disallowing SRFs in target lists would at
> > least be obvious and localized when it broke code.
>
> If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds to me like you are making the
> case that removing target list SRF completely would somehow cause less
> breakage than say, rewriting it to a LATERAL based implementation for
> example.

Yes.

Making SRFs in target lists throw an error is a thing that will be
pretty straightforward to deal with in extant code bases, whatever
size of pain in the neck it might be.  The line of code that caused
the error would be very clear, and the fix would be very obvious.

Making their behavior different in some way that throws no warnings is
guaranteed to cause subtle and hard to track bugs in extant code
bases.  We lost not a few existing users when we caused similar
knock-ons in 8.3 by removing automated casts to text.

I am no longer advocating for removing the functionality.  I am just
pointing out that the knock-on effects of changing the functionality
may well cause more pain than the ones from removing it entirely.

> With more than a little forbearance, let's just say I don't agree.

If you'd be so kind as to explain your reasons, I think we'd all
benefit.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Сообщение: Re: Changed SRF in targetlist handling
Сообщение: Re: Changed SRF in targetlist handling