Re: HeapTupleSatisfiesToast() busted? (was atomic pin/unpin causing errors)

От David Fetter
Тема Re: HeapTupleSatisfiesToast() busted? (was atomic pin/unpin causing errors)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 02:06:19PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Sooner or later we are going to need to go to 8-byte TOAST object
> identifiers.  Maybe we should think about doing that sooner not
> later rather than trying to invent some anti-wraparound solution
> here.

Yay!  Is there any lift in separating TOAST OIDs from the rest?

> In principle, you could support existing TOAST tables and pointers
> containing 4-byte IDs in parallel with the new ones.

> Not sure how pg_upgrade would handle it exactly though.

This is yet another reason we should get away from in-place binary
upgrade as a strategy.  It's always been fragile, and it's only ever
been justifiable on grounds of hardware economics that no longer
obtain.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!