Re: HeapTupleSatisfiesToast() busted? (was atomic pin/unpin causing errors)

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: HeapTupleSatisfiesToast() busted? (was atomic pin/unpin causing errors)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2016-05-10 18:29:59 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Now having said that, you don't actually need *rapid* advancement
> of the OID counter to have a potential problem.  Imagine that some
> transaction inserts a TOAST value and later fails, so that you have
> a dead-but-unhinted toast tuple sitting there.  If no VACUUM comes
> along to clean it up (quite possible if there's low activity on
> the parent table)

Or if there's primarily inserts...

> Having said that, I still say that changing HeapTupleSatisfiesToast
> is the wrong thing.  It can't go deciding not to return toast values
> because they're committed dead --- the parent tuple could easily be
> committed dead as well, and yet still be visible to our query's
> snapshot.

Hm. Shouldn't a mvcc snapshot be able to differentiate between those
cases? When are we looking up toast tuple that's *not* visible to the
current snapshot?   I guess there could be some uglyness around
RETURNING for DELETE.   I guess we'd have to use logic akin to
SatisfiesVacuum, treating HEAPTUPLE_*_IN_PROGRESS/RECENTLY_DEAD as
alive.

> Nor is it attractive to introduce more hint-bit-setting
> requirements for toast tuples; that just increases the amount of
> hint-bit-setting disk traffic that must occur subsequently to
> any update involving toast values.

Yea, that's the big argument against going this way.

> Maybe the right fix here is for toast OID assignment to use
> GetNewOidWithIndex with SnapshotToast, or some special-purpose
> snapshot that does the right thing, so that it would see such a
> dead toast row as being a conflict.  (If you got enough such
> dead rows, this might make it hard to find a free OID; but hopefully
> vacuum would come along and fix things before it got to that.)

Seems like we'd have to either emit cleanup records, or treat even
tuples that are hinted as dead as a conflict (lest they get lost in a
crash or failover).

Greetings,

Andres Freund