Re: Add jsonb_compact(...) for whitespace-free jsonb to text

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Add jsonb_compact(...) for whitespace-free jsonb to text
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thanks Alex for finding the previous thread.

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> >Actually we did have someone come up with a patch to "normalize" how
> >JSON stuff was output, because our code seems to do it in three
> >different, inconsistent ways.  And our response was for them to get the
> >heck outta here, because we're so much in love with our current
> >practice that we don't need to refactor the three implementations into a
> >single one.
> That's a pretty bad mischaracterization of the discussion.

Sorry, I don't agree with that.

> What was proposed
> was broken, as I pointed out to the OP, and then again later to you when you
> asked about it.

I didn't find your argument convincing back then, but this doesn't have
enough value to me that I can spend much time arguing about it.

> I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to us having one or more of the following:
>
> a) suppressing whitespace addition in all json generation and text output,
> possibly governed by a GUC setting so we could maintain behaviour
> compatibility if required

Sounds great to me, because we can unify the code so that we have *one*
piece to convert json to text instead of N, and not worry about the
non-relevant whitespace.