Re: Doesn't PostgreSQL clean data in data file after delete records form table?

От hubert depesz lubaczewski
Тема Re: Doesn't PostgreSQL clean data in data file after delete records form table?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 03:27:45AM -0700, zh1029 wrote:
> Hi,
>   we are using PostgreSQL 9.3.6 version and observe data file size is not
> decreased after we deleted records from the table. It looks quite abnormal.
> Is it as PostreSQL designed?
>
> DBTestPostgres=# select count (*) from test_data ;
>      0
>
> # ls -l
> total 788932
> -rw------- 1 _nokfssystestpostgres root *801067008* Mar 23 17:51 32768

Yes, that's perfectly OK. It is due to MVCC mechanisms.

subsequent vacuum (at least in your case) should free the disk space,
and if it doesn't, check other ways, described here:
http://www.depesz.com/2011/07/06/bloat-happens/

Best regards,

depesz

--
The best thing about modern society is how easy it is to avoid contact with it.
                                                             http://depesz.com/