Re: Q: extract database name from directory dump

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема Re: Q: extract database name from directory dump
Дата
Re: Q: extract database name from directory dump  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 03:55:32PM -0500, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> hmmm, let's see. You haven't specified PostgreSQL version or O/S as is
> common sense and courtesy, so I will choose one for you.

:-)  Sorry.   I am on 9.5.1 on Debian 8.0.

OTOH, in the wild it could be any OS and PG 9.1.0 upwards.

And thanks for investing time anyway !

> You are using PostgreSQL version 8.4 on Ubuntu 14.04
> Since pg_dump requires an output file, and the database you are dumping
> must be known, just just the db name in the path.
> eg: pg_dump unknown_db > /dumpdir/unknown_db/whatever_filename_you_want.dmp

Thanks for this suggestion. This option was already
included in the ones I figured out myself :-)

However, I had listed the assumptions about the dump and the
db name being in the dump name wasn't one of them   8-)

Thanks,
Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346