Re: checkpointer continuous flushing - V18

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: checkpointer continuous flushing - V18
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2016-03-10 17:33:33 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > On 2016-02-21 09:49:53 +0530, Robert Haas wrote:
> >> I think there might be a semantic distinction between these two terms.
> >> Doesn't writeback mean writing pages to disk, and flushing mean making
> >> sure that they are durably on disk?  So for example when the Linux
> >> kernel thinks there is too much dirty data, it initiates writeback,
> >> not a flush; on the other hand, at transaction commit, we initiate a
> >> flush, not writeback.
> >
> > I don't think terminology is sufficiently clear to make such a
> > distinction. Take e.g. our FlushBuffer()...
>
> Well then we should clarify it!

Trying that as we speak, err, write. How about:       <para>        Whenever more than
<varname>bgwriter_flush_after</varname>bytes have        been written by the bgwriter, attempt to force the OS to issue
these       writes to the underlying storage.  Doing so will limit the amount of        dirty data in the kernel's page
cache,reducing the likelihood of        stalls when an fsync is issued at the end of a checkpoint, or when        the
OSwrites data back  in larger batches in the background.  Often        that will result in greatly reduced transaction
latency,but there        also are some cases, especially with workloads that are bigger than        <xref
linkend="guc-shared-buffers">,but smaller than the OS's page        cache, where performance might degrade.  This
settingmay have no        effect on some platforms.  <literal>0</literal> disables controlled        writeback. The
defaultis <literal>256Kb</> on Linux, <literal>0</>        otherwise. This parameter can only be set in the
<filename>postgresql.conf</>file or on the server command line.       </para>

(plus adjustments for the other gucs)

Сообщение: Re: checkpointer continuous flushing - V18
Сообщение: Re: checkpointer continuous flushing - V18