Re: Relation cache invalidation on replica

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Relation cache invalidation on replica
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2016-02-27 01:16:34 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> If the above is true, then the proposed fix wouldn't work either.
>
> No point in sending a cache invalidation message on the standby if you
> haven't also written WAL, since the catalog re-read would just see the old
> row.
>
> heap_inplace_update() does write WAL, which blows away the starting premise.

I'm not following here. heap_inplace_update() indeed writes WAL, but it
does *NOT* (and may not) assign an xid. Thus we're not emitting the
relcache invalidation queued in DefineIndex(), as
RecordTransactionCommit() currently skips emitting a commit record if
there's no xid.

> So I'm not seeing this as an extant bug in an open source version of
> PostgreSQL, in my current understanding.

But the first message in the thread demonstrated a reproducible problem?

Andres

Сообщение: Re: Relation cache invalidation on replica
Сообщение: Re: Relation cache invalidation on replica