Re: BUG #13985: Segmentation fault on PREPARE TRANSACTION

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: BUG #13985: Segmentation fault on PREPARE TRANSACTION
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On 2016-02-25 09:02:07 +0100, Shulgin, Oleksandr wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 10:52 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> > 10.50.6.6(4188'.

> > > It's not surprising that you're not able to make this crash
> > > consistently, because it looks like the problem might be in concurrent
> > > modifications to the PGXACT array.  This routine, MinimumActiveBackends,
> > > walks the PGPROC array explicitely without locks.  There are comments
> > > indicating that this is safe, but evidently something has slipped in
> > > there.
> > >
> > > Apparently this code is trying to dereference an invalid pgxact, but
> > > it's not clear to me how this happens.  Those structs are allocated in
> > > advance, and they are referenced in the code via array indexes, so even
> > > if the pgxact doesn't actually hold data about a valid transaction,
> > > dereferencing the XID shouldn't cause a crash.
> >
> > Well, that code is pretty, uh, questionable. E.g. for
> >                 int                     pgprocno =
> > arrayP->pgprocnos[index];
> >                 volatile PGPROC *proc = &allProcs[pgprocno];
> >                 volatile PGXACT *pgxact = &allPgXact[pgprocno];
> > there's no guarantee that pgprocno is actually the same index for both
> > lookups and the following
> >                 if (pgprocno == -1)
> >                         continue;                       /* do not count
> > deleted entries */
> > check.  It's perfectly reasonable for a compiler to reload pgprocno from
> > memory, or just always reference it via memory.
> >

> Hm...  this is against my understanding of what a compiler could (or
> should) do.   Do you have a documentation reference or other evidence?

Which part does not conform to your expectations?  Moving stores/loads
around from where they're apparently happening in the C program?
Repeatedly reading from memory instead of storing something on the
stack?

All of those are side effect free for single-threaded programs, which
pretty much is the gold standard for doing optimizations in C (at least
pre-C11, but even there the above all would be possible).

Regards,

Andres

Сообщение: Re: BUG #13985: Segmentation fault on PREPARE TRANSACTION
Сообщение: Re: BUG #13985: Segmentation fault on PREPARE TRANSACTION