Re: JDBC behaviour

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: JDBC behaviour
Дата
Re: JDBC behaviour  (Vitalii Tymchyshyn <vit@tym.im>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 16:01:04 +0000
Vitalii Tymchyshyn <vit@tym.im> wrote:

> Well, it OT here and belongs to -hackers, but as for me main use case here
> is ETL or ELT process getting a lot of unvalidated external data.
> And a good option to solve this problem is not to change transaction
> semantics or slow down processing by adding tons of savepoints, but add "on
> error" clause to insert/copy statement.
>
> This clause should allow to  save records that can't fit into destination
> table because of type, check of referential constaints into error table.
> Oracle has similar functionality and we are using it in our project. No
> error is generated - no transaction rollback, batch abort or similar.
>
> As for me it would cover 90% of use cases and would be really usefull. The
> one problem I can see is with inserting into partition parent.

PL/PGSQL provides this functionality. It requires the creation of a server
side function and using that function to insert data, but it can do exactly
what you're describing.

While adding other mechanisms to make it "easier" or "more like some other
software" might be valuable; the simple fact is that Postgres _does_ support
what you want. The fact that you're not aware of it doesn't change that.

--
Bill Moran