Re: PostgreSQL Auditing

От Michael Banck
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Auditing
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL Auditing  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 07:24:23AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> PostgreSQL has auditing. It is available now, just not in core. Postgis
> isn't available in core either and it seems to do just fine.

I don't really buy that argument. For one, PostGIS has a pretty narrow
functional use-case (spatial), while auditing is a horizontal use-case
that could be required for any kind of database usage.

Second, PostGIS had 10+ (?) years to build a reputation so that people
say "if I have to choose between PostGIS and buying Oracle Spatial, of
course I choose PostGIS", the pgaudit extension does not have that.

Auditing is a pretty security/enterprisey-related thing that could do
with the "officially considered to of the PostgreSQL project standard
and ready for production" rubber-stamp that tends to go along with most
end-user/admin-oriented stuff shipped in the tarball.  I am aware that
2nd Quadrant, Crunchy Data and EnterpriseDB (different codebase via
PPAS) all support their auditing extensions commercially, so that there
is certainly some form of credibility, but still.

Now, whether or not the currently submitted approach actually meets the
above rubber-stamp requirements is a different story, but at least I
think it would be quite useful to ship auditing capabilites in the
distribution.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach