Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.

От Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Тема Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello,

At Fri, 18 Dec 2015 12:09:43 -0500, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote in
<CA+TgmoZCCFwgKL0PmSi=htfZ2aCOZPoTPD73ecvSA9rhXa0zUw@mail.gmail.com>
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 1:17 AM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am not really getting the meaning of this sentence. Shouldn't this
> > be reworded something like:
> > "Freezing occurs on the whole table once all pages of this relation require it."
>
> That statement isn't remotely true, and I don't think this patch
> changes that.  Freezing occurs on the whole table once relfrozenxid is
> old enough that we think there might be at least one page in the table
> that requires it.

I doubt I can explain this accurately, but I took the original
phrase as that if and only if all pages of the table are marked
as "requires freezing" by accident, all pages are frozen. It's
quite obvious but it is what I think "happen to require freezing"
means. Does this make sense?

The phrase might not be necessary if this is correct.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center