Re: Proposal: custom compression methods

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Proposal: custom compression methods
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2015-12-16 14:14:36 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> I think the main obstacle to make this possible is the lack of free space in
> varlena header / need to add the ID of the compression method into the
> value.
>
> FWIW I'd like to allow this (mixing compression types), but I don't think
> it's worth the complexity at this point. We can add that later, if it turns
> out to be a problem in practice (which it probably won't).

Again. Unless I miss something that was solved in
www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20130615102028.GK19500@alap2.anarazel.de

Personally I think we should add lz4 and maybe on strongly compressing
algorithm and be done with it. Runtime extensibility will make this much
more complicated, and I doubt it's worth the complexity.