Re: [sqlsmith] Failed to generate plan on lateral subqueries

От David Fetter
Тема Re: [sqlsmith] Failed to generate plan on lateral subqueries
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 12:13:41PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andreas Seltenreich <seltenreich@gmx.de> writes:
> >> I no longer see "failed to build any n-way joins" after pulling,
> >> but there are still instances of "could not devise a query plan".
> >> Samples below.
>
> > sorry, I spoke too soon: nine of the former have been logged
> > through the night.  I'm attaching a larger set of sample queries
> > this time in case that there are still multiple causes for the
> > observed errors.
>
> Hm.  At least in the first of these cases, the problem is that the
> code I committed yesterday doesn't account for indirect lateral
> dependencies.  That is, if S1 depends on S2 which depends on the
> inner side of an outer join, it now knows not to join S2 directly to
> the outer side of the outer join, but it doesn't realize that the
> same must apply to S1.
>
> Maybe we should redefine lateral_relids as the transitive closure of
> a rel's lateral dependencies?  Not sure.

That seems like it would fix the problem once and for good.  Is there
any reason to believe that the lateral dependencies could go in a
loop, i.e. is there a reason to put in checks for same in the
transitive closure construction?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!