Re: 9.5alpha2 published to trusty-pgdg?

От Christoph Berg
Тема Re: 9.5alpha2 published to trusty-pgdg?
Дата
Re: 9.5alpha2 published to trusty-pgdg?
Список pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Craig Ringer 2015-10-30 <CAMsr+YGNDGe2GoKOc1ovg15_XeTb0cAJ+JEnJGOtcJu2fj24cw@mail.gmail.com>
> Hi all
>
> Was 9.5alpha2 published to trusty-pgdg, such that a user could get it
> with "apt-get install postgresql-9.5" ?
>
> I've seen a few people complaining that their PostgreSQL stopped
> working after "aptitude upgrade" with complaints of incompatible
> catalog versions, and it turns out they were running 9.5alpha2 and had
> it broken by updating to 9.5beta1.
>
> I'm a bit concerned about publishing the alphas in the same repository
> and update channel, if that's what happend. It lets people install
> them without having to knowingly enable a testing repository or in
> some other way having to explicitly understand "we might change the
> data format if we feel like it". If they've seen "PostgreSQL 9.5"
> floating around they might well not realise it's not actually baked
> yet.

Hi,

it's true that the postgresql-9.5 package is in the normal "main"
repository. However, it's not really usable there without further
tweaks of the sources.list file (or sources.list.d/pgdg.list):

deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ wheezy-pgdg main 9.5

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ#I_want_to_try_the_beta_version_of_the_next_PostgreSQL_release

Without the "9.5" added there apt(itude) will refuse to install the
postgresql-9.5 package because it can't find the version needed of the
libpq5 package.

Also, no one will get postgresql-9.5 installed just by "apt(itude)
upgrade", that would only update the already-installed packages, and
the "postgresql" meta package is still pointing to postgresql-9.4.

So everyone who's on 9.5 now had actively modified their sources.list
to allow that (or applied some --force-whatever hammer to dpkg).

We've had a "this is beta ymmv" warning in some beta package
descriptions before (iirc in 9.3), but of course we forgot to remove
them when .0 came out, so we refrained from doing that again.

But I just realized that there's an easy way out of the situation: We
do already stow the lib packages of 9.5 into the "9.5" component, we
could as easily move *all* binary packages of the 9.5 source there as
well. That would make then invisible to non-beta users, and wouldn't
change anything for the beta users, because they need to update their
sources.list to include "9.5".

I'll apply that fix to the next 9.5 beta or rc upload.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/