Re: Service not starting on Ubuntu 15.04

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: Service not starting on Ubuntu 15.04
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 11:21:23 +0000
Lasse Westh-Nielsen <lassewesth@gmail.com> wrote:

> I posted to stackoverflow about my problem upgrading from Ubuntu 14.04 to
> Ubuntu 15.04:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33306475/ubuntu-15-04-postgresql-doesnt-start
>
> Tl;dr: postgresql service does not start properly when installed as a
> package using cloud-init.
>
> And I can't figure out if I am doing something wrong, if the AMI is no
> good, if the package has problems, ... I reckon I cannot be the first
> person to use Postgres on Ubuntu Vivid, but I have been hammering my head
> against the wall with this for hours.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated!

I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but ...

The symptoms you describe seem to suggest that the script is starting
PostgreSQL asynchronously (i.e. in the background) which means that
the CREATE command runs too quickly and the server isn't started yet.

A quick way to _test_ this theory would be to put a sleep between the
install and the CREATE commands and see if the problem goes away.

If that does seem to be the problem, then a good _fix_ would be to
find a way to foreground the startup of the server, or have some command
that tests to ensure the server is started and blocks until it is
before running the create command.

The only point I'm unclear on is whether you've confirmed that
Postgres actually _is_ started once the server is up (albiet without
the CREATE statement having succeeded).

--
Bill Moran