Re: security labels on databases are bad for dump & restore

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: security labels on databases are bad for dump & restore
Дата
Re: security labels on databases are bad for dump & restore  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 10:50:53AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> True.  But I don't think modifying a database before restoring into it
> >> is terribly supported.  Even pg_dump --clean, which is supposed to do
> >> this sort of thing, doesn't seem to work terribly reliably.  We could
> >> try to fix this by having a command like ALTER DATABASE ... RESET ALL
> >> that we issue before restoring the settings, but I'm afraid that will
> >> take us into all sorts of unreasonable scenarios that are better just
> >> labeled as "don't do that".
> >
> > Andres's example is a harbinger of the semantic morass ahead.  Excepting
> > database objects and the "public" schema object, pg_dump and pg_dumpall mutate
> > only the objects they CREATE.  They consistently restore object properties
> > (owner, ACLs, security label, etc.) if and only if issuing a CREATE statement
> > for the object.  For example, restoring objects contained in a schema without
> > restoring the schema itself changes none of those schema properties.  pg_dump
> > and pg_dumpall have mostly followed that rule for databases, too, but they
> > depart from it for comment and security label.  That was a mistake.  We can't
> > in general mutate an existing database to match, because we can't mutate the
> > encoding, datcollate or datctype.  Even discounting that problem, I value
> > consistency with the rest of the dumpable object types.
>
> What we've proven so far (if Craig's comments are to be believed) is
> that the oft-recommended formula of pg_dumpall -g plus pg_dump of each
> database doesn't completely work.  That's absolutely gotta be fixed.

What exact formula did you have in mind?  It must not be merely

1. "pg_dumpall -g"
2. "pg_dump" (without --create) per database

which _never_ works: it emits no CREATE DATABASE statements.  Perhaps this?

1. "pg_dumpall -g"
2. Issue a handwritten CREATE DATABASE statement per database with correct  encoding, lc_ctype and lc_collate
parameters. All other database  properties can be wrong; the dump will fix them.

3. "pg_dump" (without --create) per database

That neglects numerous database properties today, but we could make it work.
Given the problems I described upthread, it's an inferior formula that I
recommend against propping up.  I much prefer making this work completely:

1. "pg_dumpall -g"
2. "pg_dump --create" per database

Another formula I wouldn't mind offering:

1. "pg_dumpall -g"
2. pg_dumpall --empty-databases
3. "pg_dump" (without --create) per database

Code for an --empty-databases option already exists for "pg_dumpall -g
--binary-upgrade".  A patch turning that into a user-facing feature might be
quite compact.  I don't see much point given a complete "pg_dump --create",
but I wouldn't object.

Thanks,
nm