Re: security labels on databases are bad for dump & restore

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: security labels on databases are bad for dump & restore
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Andres Freund (andres@anarazel.de) wrote:
> On 2015-07-28 15:14:11 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > > DBA creates a database and sets some properties (security labels, gucs,
> > > acls) on it. Then goes on to restore a backup. Unfortunately that backup
> > > might, or might not, overwrite the properties he configured depending on
> > > whether the restored database already contains them and from which
> > > version the backup originates.
> >
> > Well, I think that's just a potential incompatibility between 9.6 and
> > previous versions, and a relatively minor one at that.  We can't and
> > don't guarantee that a dump taken using the 9.3 version of pg_dump
> > will restore correctly on any server version except 9.3.  It might
> > work OK on a newer or older version, but then again it might not.
>
> Even within a single major version it'll be a bit confusing that one
> time a restore yielded the desired result (previously set property
> survives) and the next restore it doesn't, because now the backup does
> contain the property.

I'm not sure that I agree with this at all- you might create one SSL
certificate after you install PG and then you use one of the various
utilities to restore a prior cluster and, blam, you get a different
certificate because that's what was in the backup.

I might see having an option to enable/disable restoring the database
level properies which exist inside a backup as that may be useful
flexibility, but I don't believe this concern should stop us from
including the database properties in the database backup.
Thanks!
    Stephen

Сообщение: Re: security labels on databases are bad for dump & restore
Сообщение: Re: security labels on databases are bad for dump & restore