Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thakur, Sameer wrote:
> Hello,
> >I think it'd be better to combine both numbers into one report:
> >It'd also be good to standardize on where the * 100 is happening.
> Done
> >can be replaced by
> >(itemptr->ipblkid != vacrelstats->last_scanned_page)
> Get compiler error : invalid operands to binary != (have ‘BlockIdData’ and ‘BlockIdData’)
> >vacrelstats->current_index_scanned_page_count++;
> Done
> Please find v3 attached.
>
> I am struggling to create  maintenance work memory exhaustion.  Did the following
> maintenance_work_mem=1MB.
> Inserted 10 million records in tbl1 with 3 indexes. Deleted 5 million and vacuumed. So far no error. I could keep
bumpingup the records to say 100 million and try to get this error.

> This seems a tedious manner to simulate maintenance work memory exhaustion. Is there a better way?
> To insert I am using COPY (from a csv which has 10 million records) and building indexes after insert is complete.

I don't think there's any maintenance work exhaustion that results in an
error.  The system is designed to use all the memory it is allowed to,
and to have other strategies when it's not sufficient to do the whole
sort.

Not sure what Jim meant.  Maybe he meant to be aware of when spilling to
disk happens?  Obviously, things become slower, so maybe you need to
consider it for progress reporting purposes.

От: Etsuro Fujita
Сообщение: We need to support ForeignRecheck for late row locking, don't we?
От: Amit Langote
Сообщение: Re: [PROPOSAL] VACUUM Progress Checker.