Re: WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?
Дата
Re: WAL logging problem in 9.4.3?  (Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2015-07-03 19:02:29 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> Maybe I'm just daft right now (35C outside, 32 inside, so ...), but I'm
> right now missing how the whole "skip wal logging if relation has just
> been truncated" optimization can ever actually be crashsafe unless we
> use a new relfilenode (which we don't!).

We actually used to use a different relfilenode, but optimized that
away: cab9a0656c36739f59277b34fea8ab9438395869

commit cab9a0656c36739f59277b34fea8ab9438395869
Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Date:   Sun Aug 23 19:23:41 2009 +0000
   Make TRUNCATE do truncate-in-place when processing a relation that was created   or previously truncated in the
current(sub)transaction.  This is safe since   if the (sub)transaction later rolls back, we'd just discard the rel's
current  physical file anyway.  This avoids unreasonable growth in the number of   transient files when a relation is
repeatedlytruncated.  Per a performance   gripe a couple weeks ago from Todd Cook.

to me the reasoning here looks flawed.