Re: Momentary Delay

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: Momentary Delay
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 11:59:31 -0300
Anderson Valadares <andervalbh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>  We are experiencing an intermittent problem in a GIS database from a
> client. Some times of the day is as if the PostgreSQL executed the slowest
> operations see below an example. The query was performed three times, twice
> I canceled and the third time I left it to end. The consultation took 10
> seconds to finish, but the measured execution time is 20 ms. As we have
> several queries that run every 2 seconds when this momentary delay occurs
> queries accumulate and burst the limit of 203 connections allowed. The
> interval of "momentary stop" are approximately 2 seconds occurring at
> random times and during these stoppages occur no locks and no increased
> load on the server is identified. There is a job 2/2 seconds locks
> collection of information, running queries, etc., nmon also collects
> information every 2 seconds. My client asks what causes these momentary
> stops? because it affects all operations of the database? etc. How do I
> identify what is causing these delays in executions of operations in the
> database?

Number of points to consider:
* Check the contents of pg_locks and see if something is waiting on a
  lock when the query is slow.
* Also, ensure log_lock_waits is turned on for the server and check
  PostgreSQL's logs for messages about long lock waits.
* Make sure shared_buffers isn't larger than 16G. I've seen issues with
  PG 9.X and shared_buffers settings larger than that causing
  intermittant stalls.
* Based on the connection behavior you describe, I'm guessing it's a
  Tomcat app using some sort of conection pool. Whatever it is, tune
  your connection pool settings so that the max size of the pool doesn't
  exceed the available PostgreSQL connections. At least that will prevent
  errors from happening when the problem occurs.
* The query you you keep cancelling below, run judy EXPLAIN on it (not
  EXPLAIN ANALYZE) which will certainly finish and give you a plan
  that can be reviewed to help determine what the problem is.
* On the OS, monitor iostat or something else to see if you're
  saturating disk capacity when the problem happens.

--
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>