Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 08:15:38PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 10:47:27PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> >> So, I think we have built up a lot of technical debt. And very little
> >> effort has been made to fix that; and in the cases where people have the
> >> reception has often been cool, because refactoring things obviously will
> >> destabilize in the short term, even if it fixes problems in the long
> >> term.  I don't think that's sustainable.
> >
> > Agreed.
>
> +1. Complexity has increased, and we are actually never at 100% sure
> that a given bug fix does not have side effects on other things, hence
> I think that a portion of this technical debt is the lack of
> regression test coverage, for both existing features and platforms
> (like Windows). The thing is that complexity has increased, but for
> example for many features we lack test coverage, thinking mainly
> replication-related stuff here. Of course we will never get to a level
> of 100% of confidence with just the test coverage and the buildfarm,
> but we should at least try to get closer to such a goal.

FYI, I realize that one additional thing that has discouraged code
reorganization is the additional backpatch overhead.  I think we now
need to accept that our reorganization-adverse approach might have cost
us some reliability, and that reorganization is going to add work to
backpatching.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +